The Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites give people thousands of ways to explore Indiana. At all 12 locations, visitors will find stories about the people, places and things that shape Indiana. We welcome everyone, whether you're a Hoosier by birth or a Hoosier at heart.
Hannah Kiefer, Director of Communication
email@example.com, 317.234.8146 (office); 317.431.5448 (cell)
INDIANAPOLIS – The state of Indiana is now accepting applications from Hoosier artists to paint the official portrait of Governor Mike Pence. The Indiana State Museum will coordinate the selection process to determine the artist who will paint the approximately 42-inch by 32-inch oil or acrylic portrait.
A gubernatorial portrait is completed for each Indiana governor and will become part of the historic governor’s portrait collection, managed by the Indiana State Museum. Interested applicants have until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 23, 2016 to submit their applications, which must include the following:
• Applicant must be a resident or native of Indiana or a graduate of an Indiana institution of higher learning. Preference will be given to Indiana residents.
• Applicants must complete the online application form, available at: http://www.indianamuseum.org/governorportrait.
• Applicant must include a resume including past portrait experience and commissions, list of their work in public collections, past exhibitions, and art training.
• Applicant must include an artist’s statement about their approach to portrait painting. Specific ideas about this commission may also be included but are not required.
• Applicant must submit at least six to 10 digital color samples of their portrait work, including some detail, to be uploaded to the application website.
• Applicant must propose their required dollar amount for the commission. The cost of framing should not be included in the artist’s fee.
• Applicant’s schedule must be flexible and may include travel. All travel costs will be reimbursed.
• Applicant must include email and mailing addresses and phone contact numbers in their application.
Finalists will be determined in mid-October and the selected artist will be named by the end of October. The painting will be completed by the end of June 2017 with an unveiling of the portrait expected by summer 2017.
Historically, private funding is used to pay for the artist’s commission and framing and the same practice will be followed for the commission and framing of Governor Pence’s portrait. Any remaining funds are maintained by the Indiana State Museum for the preservation and exhibition of the collection.
Additional information about the portrait process may be found at http://www.indianamuseum.org/governorportrait. For questions about the application process or the Governors Portrait Collection at the Indiana State Museum, please contact Chief Curator of Fine Art Mark Ruschman at 317.232.1633 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
The Indiana State Museum is located in White River State Park in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. It is Indiana’s museum for science, art and culture, offering a place where you can celebrate, investigate, remember, learn and take pride in Indiana’s story in the context of the broader world. Even the building is a showcase of the best Indiana has to offer in architecture, materials and sculpture. Easy and convenient parking is available in the attached underground garage.
Sign up here for the latest news and updates