Historic New Harmony was the site of two early American utopian communities. The Harmonie Society, a group of German dissenters led by George Rapp, arrived in the United States in 1804, settling in Pennsylvania. 10 years later the Harmonists purchased 20,000 acres on the Wabash River, and moved to Indiana in 1814.
Historic New Harmony
410 N. Arthur St.
New Harmony, IN 47631
800.231.2168 (toll free)
The Atheneum/Visitor center is open year-round from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jan. 2 through March 14, 2017: Tours will be given on Saturdays at 1 p.m.
March 15, 2017: Daily tour resumes
Tours begin at the Atheneum/Visitors Center, located at the corner of North and Arthur Streets. The daily tour begins at 1 p.m.
Please note: New Harmony observes Central Daylight Savings Time.
Historic New Harmony is closed on New Years Day (Jan. 1), Easter (April 16), Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 23), Christmas Eve (Dec. 24) and Christmas Day (Dec. 25).
Indiana State Museum members receive FREE admission.
Seniors*/AAA Members: $15
Children under 7: FREE
Family Ticket: $30
(members of the same household)
*Seniors: Ages 60 and older, Child: Ages 3 through 17
Free street parking is available throughout the historic downtown area. There is also a free parking lot at the Atheneum/Visitors Center.
Interested in scheduling a group/school tour? Contact Historic New Harmony at 800.231.2168.
Please view our calendar for upcoming events.
Consider hosting your special event at New Harmony State Historic Site. Please fill out our inquiry form to receive information.
Historic New Harmony was the site of two early American utopian communities. The Harmonie Society, a group of German dissenters led by George Rapp, arrived in the United States in 1804 and settled in Pennsylvania. Ten years later, the Harmonists purchased 20,000 acres on the Wabash River and moved to Indiana in 1814.
The Harmonists believed that Christ's second coming was imminent. They pursued Christian perfection through every aspect of their daily conduct and created a highly ordered and productive community.
Between 1814 and 1824, the Harmonists constructed more than 180 log, frame and brick structures. The community was entirely self-sufficient and produced a wide variety of goods that were traded as far away as New Orleans, Pittsburgh and even overseas.
In 1824, George Rapp decided to sell New Harmony. He found a buyer in Robert Owen, a wealthy industrialist from Scotland. In 1825, with his business partner William Maclure, Owen purchased New Harmony outright, hoping to establish a model community where education and social equality would flourish. Maclure, a well-respected amateur geologist, attracted many important scholars to new Harmony, including naturalists, geologists, educators and early feminists.
Owen's "Community of Equality," had dissolved by 1827. Nevertheless, his Utopian dream brought significant contributions to American scientific and educational theory, study and practice. Early feminist activity increased national awareness of the women's suffrage issue.
Today New Harmony is a vibrant community where festivals, concerts and plays are held throughout the year. The town is also a popular location for weddings, conferences and retreats.
Historic New Harmony is a unified program of the University of Southern Indiana and the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites.