Host in the center of historic elegance
From the expansive South Lawn to the intimate South Portico, our outdoor spaces meet a variety of event needs. The opulence of the mansion and stunning view of the Ohio River creates a memorable setting for your event.
Lanier Mansion Block Details
- All weddings have access to either South or North lawns from 9 a.m. to midnight. Under 150 guests, $1,500. Under 250 guests, $2,000. Over 250 guests, $2,500.
- Gazebo and Portico can be rented for $150 per hour before 5 p.m. and $250 per hour after 5 p.m.
- If you desire additional activities for your guests, you’re in luck. Between the ceremony and the reception, guests can explore the interior of the Lanier Mansion for one hour. Our expert guides will be stationed throughout the house to answer questions. This additional service is $500.
- For smaller events other than weddings, we offer intimate conference rooms. Please call site for pricing at 812.265.3526.
500 people – South Lawn
300 people – North Lawn
100 people – Gazebo
40 people maximum – South Portico
(10 rows of 4 chairs on each side)
- To book your event, a deposit of 50% of rental space is required along with a signed agreement. A check, American Express, MasterCard or Visa are accepted forms of payment. Please note: Indiana sales tax of 7% applies to all rental fees.
- Set-up may begin at 9 am. All event supplies must be removed from the property by midnight.
- Wedding parties will have access to a private changing area throughout the day. There is an on-site parking lot available for guest use. Additional parking is available on surrounding streets.
- Restrooms are accessible in the Visitor Center.
- Alcohol and catering services may be hired by the client. The client must provide a copy of the catering contract to the Lanier Mansion State Historic Site manager at the time that the contract is signed. Caterers must show proof of all appropriate state licensing, including a valid liquor license.
- A certificate of insurance is required for all rental events at Lanier Mansion State Historic Site.
- Lanier Mansion State Historic Site at times could be considered under structural or cosmetic construction. Structural and/or cosmetic changes to the facility and its grounds includes but is not limited to gallery closures, improvements to the landscape, installation of art, etc. In the best efforts of the facility, plans will be communicated as early as possible to the client.
What sets us apart
- Beautiful location on the Ohio River
- Elegant Lanier Mansion serves as a backdrop for your event
- Conveniently located in downtown Madison
- Complimentary parking available for event guests
- Additional room available for bridal party to use
- Optional mansion tours for guests in-between wedding and reception.
- Several different event spaces to meet your needs
- Many photo opportunities available on the mansion grounds
- Photo opportunity can be arranged on the spiral staircase
Located on the banks of the Ohio River, Lanier Mansion State Historic Site is considered the “Crown Jewel” of Madison’s historic district. It’s one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in the country, with its beautiful façade and surrounding gardens.
Designed by Indiana architect Francis Costigan, this remarkable home built for James Franklin Doughty Lanier – one of the most important and influential figures in 19th-century Madison – was completed in 1844. The mansion exhibits many original Greek Revival features including its square plan, full façade porch on the south elevation, Corinthian columns on the south portico, Doric pilasters that appear on several locations on the exterior and more. Your guests will surely enjoy this one-of-a-kind setting!
1 of 1