Play, make, create and discover!
Registration is open for our fun-filled winter break day camps like Snow Fun, Chilly and Crafty, It’s Game Time and more! Are you looking for a fun alternative to in-person day camps? Camp in a Box kits are also available for purchase.
We’re offering scholarships for qualifying families.Learn more
Winter Break Camps
9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Dec. 28-30, and Jan. 4, 2021
$55/per camper per day, 10% discount for members, $5 sibling discount
Free time for campers offered 8 to 9 a.m.
December 28 | Snow Fun
Investigate winter by making your own snow, learning all about snowflakes and creating your own snow dough to take home.Purchase
December 29 | Chilly and Crafty
Warm up from the chilly winter weather with fun art and craft creations. Paint with ice and make some decorations perfect for a New Year’s celebration!Purchase
December 30 | It’s Game Time!
Discover what makes a game great, and use the skills you learn to create your very own game.Purchase
January 4 | Light & Shadows
Experiment with light and test out what shadows you can create as we explore light and shadows with our friends from The Franklin Institute.Purchase
How we're staying safe
- Tables are spaced 5-6 feet apart.
- We will have up to two campers per 6’ table, sitting at opposite ends of the table.
- We allow campers to self select their seat for the day. Siblings may choose to sit together or at different tables.
- All materials will be grouped per child. Each camper will have a bin of art supplies that will be just theirs to use during the camp day. When extra materials are needed, an ISM staff person will gather those materials.
- We will do our best to limit contact with non-camp staff and museum guests. This includes visiting the galleries before the museum opens and having lunch in our camp room.
- Recess and free exploration are important aspects of camp. We will have variety of exploration bins that a camper can explore with for the day. These materials will be cleaned at the end of each day. If the weather permits (not raining), we will go outside for walks and non-contact recess games.
- Campers will wash their hands when entering and leaving the camp room, before and after snack and lunch, and after using the restroom. Both hand sanitizer and soap and water will be available for campers to use as needed.
- Tables, chairs, camper bins, and materials will be cleaned at the end of each camp day, once the campers have left for the day.
- We are using 80% isopropyl alcohol, Virex, and cleaning wipes to clean items after use.
- Campers and ISM staff will be expected to wear a mask during the camp day, except for lunch and snack time.
- Pick-up and drop off will happen in the circle drive right outside the museum entrance. This will limit the number of adults in the camp space. Additional details will be emailed to parents before camp.
- If we don’t reach our minimum camp attendance, camp will be cancelled on the Monday the week before that scheduled camp.
Camp in a Box
Engage your child in learning through a variety of hands-on design challenges, step-by-step experiments and art creations. Each theme includes 5 activities, all the materials needed, and an activity guide with step-by-step instructions and ways to continue exploring. These kits are geared towards students currently in grades kindergarten – 6.
$30/members, $35/non-members; $10 shipping
- Museum ticket counter pick-up: Wednesday – Sunday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Dec. 2, 2020, through Jan. 3, 2021
- Shipping: $10 per kit for priority mail
- Registration Deadline: Two business days prior to kit pick-up. Orders cannot be placed and picked up the same day. The last day to reserve a kit is Wednesday, Dec. 30.
My 7 (now 8) year old daughter LOVED the camps in a box! She liked that they included every day supplies and the instructions were written clearly so she could do many of the activities on her own.
I like my child having the option to learn and interact while maintaining social distancing. I also liked that we could work at our own pace.
Great deal and my kids were engaged for HOURS with some of the activities.
Create art through messy experiments, like painting without a paintbrush and experimenting with splatter art.Purchase
After learning and growing so much during the fall semester, enjoy your fall break as you relax and reset. Campers will make stress balls, practice yoga, create art and learn different ways to relax when they need a break.Purchase
Solid, Liquid, Gas
Experiment with the states of matter with five different science experiments. Warning…you may get messy!Purchase
Ready Set Launch
Explore what it takes to propel objects through the air and build catapults, rockets and more.Purchase
Camp in a Box FAQ
Activities will result in one product at completion. Children can work alone or with a partner, whichever works best for your family. Families with multiple children can opt to purchase one or more kits.
Fridays, October 2, 9, 16 & 23 from 4:30 – 6 p.m. Details will be emailed to parents on October 1, 8, 15 & 22.
We have a quick and easy non-contact delivery where we will place the kit in your trunk. Details will be emailed to you on the Wednesday before pick-up. Pick-up will take place in the circle drive in front of the Indiana State Museum at 650 W. Washington St., Indianapolis, Indiana, 46204.
Nearly everything will be included in the kit. Your child may need to provide their own water and scissors. For activities that call for drawing a picture with a crayon, we will only include one or two crayons. Your child may want to add to their creations from their own art stash.
Nope! Once you have the kit, the materials are yours and nothing will need to be returned.
We have tried our best to provide activities that campers can do alone or with limited adult supervision. However, you know your child best and whether or not they may need an assistant to help with instructions. We’ve also heard that some families have used these kits as a way for their whole family to connect and learn. Please use these activities in whatever way works best for your family.
I bought Artful Antics/Summer Reset/Solid Liquid Gas/Ready Set Launch this summer. Are there new activities in these boxes?
No, this is the same kit from the summer. Fall Fun and Grossology are brand new kits with new and different activities.
Angel Mounds State Historic Site
8215 Pollack Ave, Evansville, IN 47715
9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Nov. 11 and Dec. 21
$50/camper; 10% discount for members
Extended care available from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for an additional $10.
Summertime Rewind Camp
Registration required by Oct. 28
Experience all the fun we missed out on from summer camps during our day camp this fall! Join in a day of activities. Learn how to start a fire, then conquer the mounds in a game of capture the flag.Purchase
Amazing Egypt Camp
Registration required by Dec. 7
Curious about what archaeologists do? Think Ancient Egypt is really cool? Then, do we have a camp for you! Join in the fun as we learn all about Ancient Egyptians – who they were, where they lived and how they created mummies!Purchase
Corydon Capitol State Historic Site
202 E Walnut St, Corydon, IN 47112
9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Dec. 21, 22, 23
$40/per camper per day, 10% discount for members
Registration required by Dec. 14
Winter Science Camp
Investigate the science behind winter by conducting your own cold weather experiments.Purchase
Art Exploration Camp
Discover your creativity through a variety of mediums while making your own original masterpieces. Find inspiration from the Corydon Capitol State Historic Site and conduct colorful experiments throughout this camp.Purchase
Explore prehistoric pottery from the Woodland and Mississippian periods and find out what the pottery can tell us about some of the first people to live in what would become Indiana. Then create your own pottery during this day camp.Purchase
Camp registration can be cancelled or rescheduled to an available camp up to two weeks before the start of camp. Camp registrations cancelled less than two weeks prior to the start of camp will not be refunded. Review our registration, cancellation and bad weather policies here.