Released May 23, 2018
Free summer fun kicks off June 6 at Indiana State Museum and Eiteljorg Museum
INDIANAPOLIS (May 23, 2018) – Free, family-friendly fun returns to the Indiana State Museum and Eiteljorg Museum beginning June 6 during Canal Nights and the Summer Under the Sails concert series. Both events are free and open to the public, and they take place on Wednesday evenings throughout the summer along the Downtown Canal outside the museums.
The Indiana State Museum’s Canal Nights take place outside the museum’s canal entrance from 6 – 8 p.m., and will feature a variety of topics, from nature play and game nights, to STEAM or Build It! nights. The programming is all free to the public. Before Canal Nights, visitors are invited to see the newest experiences, “Frozen Reign,” “First Nations,” and “The R.B. Annis Naturalist’s Lab” – all included with general admission and open until 5 p.m.
The Eiteljorg Museum’s Summer Under the Sails concert series returns every Wednesday evening from 6 – 8 p.m. in June and July, as well as August 1. Enjoy food, drink, activities and free live music in the Eiteljorg Museum gardens along the Downtown Canal. Admission to the museum is also free these evenings from 5 to 8 p.m. Inside the museum, see the blockbuster exhibit on Hollywood movie and TV Westerns, The Reel West.
The dates, themes and concerts for the different nights are as follows:
- June 6
- Indiana State Museum – STEAM Night: Explore the relationship between science and art and everything in between with hands-on activities, engineering challenges and games.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: The Tillers (String Band, Americana, Bluegrass)
- June 13
- Indiana State Museum – Nature Play Day: Come play with natural materials, stroll through the Watanabe Gardens, and discover the wonders of nature in our very own backyard.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: Tim Brickley & The List (60s and 70s hits)
- June 20
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: Emily Ann Thomspon (Jazz)
- June 27
- Indiana State Museum – Build It!: How high can you build it? Or how fast can you knock it down? Try building, making and constructing at Build It! Night.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: Soundz of Santana (Carlos Santana Tribute)
- July 4
- Indiana State Museum – Boom and Sparkle: Enjoy art and science programming inspired by fireworks.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: Heartstone Crossing (Popular Music Covers)
- July 11:
- Indiana State Museum – Water Science: Cool off with science experiments and activities all about water.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: My Yellow Rickshaw (Popular Music Covers)
- July 18
- Indiana State Museum – Game Night + Member Night: Join us for fun games and activities for the whole family. Work together as a team or bring out your competitive side at Game Night.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: Pavel & Direct Contact (Latin Music)
- July 25
- Indiana State Museum – Jump, Skip and Play: Explore fun ways to get moving with games, activities and challenges.
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: Tad Robinson (Blues)
- Aug. 1
- Eiteljorg Museum concert: il Troubadore (Sci-Fi and World Music)
For a full listing of programming at the Indiana State Museum, visit indianamuseum.org. For more information about the Eiteljorg Museum’s concert series, visit Eiteljorg.org.
# # #
The Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites is located in White River State Park in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. It is Indiana’s museum for science, art and culture, offering a place where you can celebrate, investigate, remember, learn and take pride in Indiana’s story in the context of the broader world. Even the building is a showcase of the best Indiana has to offer in architecture, materials and sculpture. Easy and convenient parking is available in the attached underground garage.
The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art in White River State Park in downtown Indianapolis seeks to inspire an appreciation and understanding of the art, history and cultures of the American West and the Indigenous peoples of North America. Located on the Central Canal at 500 West Washington St., the Eiteljorg Museum recently was named one of the USA Today Readers’ Choice 10 Best Indiana Attractions.