On June 1, 2018, the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites system will adjust its operating hours, including closing all 12 locations on Mondays.
To answer common questions about what this means for you as a visitor, we’ve created the following FAQ sheet. Additional questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 317-232-1637.
Why will the museum and historic sites be closed on Mondays?
The Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites will be closed on Mondays to improve the experience for all of our visitors. While closed on Mondays, we’ll be able to do important maintenance on all of our experiences and sites, rather than doing this during open hours and disturbing your visit. Closing on Mondays will also create more consistency across our 12 locations, so that it’s easier for visitors to know when we’re open and when we’re not.
What are your new hours?
Effective June 1, the following locations will all be open Tuesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Angel Mounds State Historic Site
- Corydon Capitol State Historic Site
- Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site
- Indiana State Museum (Indianapolis)
- Lanier Mansion State Historic Site
- Levi and Catharine Coffin State Historic Site
- Limberlost State Historic Site
- T.C. Steele State Historic Site
- Vincennes State Historic Sites
Additionally, the Indiana State Museum and Historic Site’s Indianapolis museum will remain open on Mondays during fall break, spring break and the month of December.
Three locations will have hours that vary due to weather considerations:
- Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site:
- April 1 through Nov. 30: Open Tuesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Dec. 1 through March 31: Historic buildings closed to the public, grounds remain open.
- New Harmony State Historic Site:
- The Atheneum/Visitors Center is open year round, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Guided tours are required to tour the buildings.
- March 15 through Oct. 31: Guided tours every day at 1 p.m.
- Nov. 1 through Dec. 30: Tours offered on Saturdays and Sundays at 1 p.m.
- Jan. 1 through March 23: No tours offered.
- Whitewater Canal State Historic Site:
- April 1 through Nov. 30: The Grist Mill will be open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- May 1 through Oct. 31: The Canal Boat will be open Wednesday through Sunday, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., with runs on the hour (weather permitting).
- Dec. 1 through March 31: The site is closed to the public.
What about the Indiana State Museum café and gift shop?
The Farmers Market Café and Indiana Store will also be closed on Mondays. They will be open during regular museum hours, Tuesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Will IMAX or Peewinkle’s Puppet Studio be closed?
No. IMAX and Peewinkle’s Puppet Studio will maintain their regular schedules. Visitors to those venues will still be able to enter and exit as usual through the museum on Mondays.
What about holidays?
All 12 locations will remain open on Monday holidays, including Memorial Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day.
With the exception of Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site, New Harmony State Historic Site, and Whitewater Canal State Historic Site – which all have seasonal hours – all other locations will also be open on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Presidents Day.
All locations are closed on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. New Harmony State Historic Site is also closed on Dec. 24, Dec. 26, Dec. 31, and Jan. 1.
Can I still call the museum on Mondays to get information?
The Indiana State Museum’s Visitor Services Call Center will remain open on Mondays. Visitors wishing to purchase tickets to the museum or to upcoming events, or purchase or renew a membership, will still be able to do so during regular business hours on Monday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Just call 317-232-1637 to be connected with the call center.